Preface #1

"Artist's Statement" (Essay)

Jason Cole Magnon "Artist’s Statement" I want my readers to be able to have at least two distinct kinds of experienc...

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

"Bereft of Beauty"

Jason Cole Magnon

­"Bereft of Beauty"

Rushed superfluous, hurried and shaken. 
I am bereft. What is left of beauty?
Clothed in shame and then: forsaken. 

Deeply entranced in this masquerading, 
We run wielding shields of timidity,
Rushed superfluous, hurried and shaken. 

Hold to the self, the I that is Me.
Any gift given may still be taken.
I am bereft. What is left of beauty? 

What some call living, I call escaping.
They want hope, I see chaos ensuing:
Rushed superfluous, hurried and shaken.
           
My God, you, omniscient and forsaking,
Impart your grace, be imbued into me
I am bereft, What is left of beauty?

There are still more nights to pass until I
Awake in this dream of times elapsing.
Rushed superfluous, hurried and shaken,
I am bereft. What is left of beauty?



[*A villanelle to honor and question life's ebbs and flows: the persistence of loss that we all experience]

No comments: